Old 12-02-2006, 05:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ook

Default How to convert grass to garden

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
I have a nice patch of grass in my back yard I want to convert to garden.
What are some good ways to get rid of the grass - kill it, turn it under,
etc. ?

Thanks to all that replied, I've been out of town and have not had a chance
to respond sooner.

No bermuda (!!). I lived in Vegas for 15 years, and there is no way to win
the war against bermuda. Up here (near Portland OR), there is no bermuda
type grasses.

It's a fairly large plot, probably 2000 square feet or so, depending on how
much my wife wants for her koi pond area . I'm not excited about shaving
the top layer off.

Black plastic - problem - there is no sunshine this time of year, it doesn't
stop raining long enough for the ground to dry.

I have tons of cardboard boxes, having just moved - maybe using cardboard to
kill it is my best bet? And then use a good gas tiller to chop up the
remains?