Old 08-03-2003, 02:20 AM
Anita Hawkins

Default [IBC] nematodes

Michael Persiano wrote:

I also understand that adding egg shells promotes the introduction of organisms that eat the nematodes.

Specifically, organisms that "eat" the chitin in the nematode's egg
shells. Looking around for evidence, tho, it seems more appropriate to
compost crab or shrimp shells, which contain larger amounts of chitin,
rather than hen's eggs which are almost entirely calcium carbonate.
Those of us who use homemade compost in our bonsai soils might take note...

Basically, sounds to me like an excuse to have a crab-boil every week!

Anita
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++