Old 08-03-2003, 04:08 AM
Bob Alston

Default CO2 question

I initially used a fine airstone as a diffuser. Eventually I decided on a
reactor from Plant Guild.

http://www.familychest.com/plantguil..._reactors.html

I have been very happy with it in my 55 gal.

Bob
"Bob A" wrote in message
55g tank.

I have had 2 bottles going for a few days, and getting over a bubble per
second. Maybe the second batch is a better brew. I am reading 17ppm CO2.

I do suspect I'm losing a lot of the CO2 with this type of reactor. I'm
going to be searching for something better. I saw some at marinemonsters
for $25, may look into those again.

I have decided to take out my heater, so putting in a reactor won't be so
bad.

I don't know if this was a good idea (comments?) but when my pH got down

6.8 I added 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, tested KH a few hours later, and it
had gone up from 2d to 3d. PH level did not change appreciably.

thanks!

bob

"Bob Alston" wrote in message
. ..
Not clear how large your tank is? For my 55 gal, I needed two DIY

2-liter
bottles. I have since switched to compressed gas.

also the bio-wheel on the emperor will cause you to lose a lot of co2.

Best
if you don't have such (i.e. another type of filter) or at least keep

the
water level filled up high to reduce the splashing of water. Possible

remove the biowheel,; never have done that; of course that removes some

of
your bio filtration.

Bob Alston
"Bob A" wrote in message
First I want to thank everyone who has helped me get started on DIY

CO2,
and
especially Kush who told me I might be using water that was too hot...

that
was in fact the problem.

I also read Leigh's response to someone regarding doubling the amount

of
mixture in the bottle, and did that, and it gave me more frequent

bubbles
than I had had, but the pH didn't go down.

I'm getting a bubble about every 3-4 seconds, piped into the intake of

my
Emperor 400 power filter. My CO2 normally has been about 2-3, now it

is
staying a fairly stable 8ppm (KH 2 & pH 7).

I am even seeing a little pearling which is very rewarding. My

question
is,
should I be satisfied with this? I would love to see more pearling,

but
don't necessarily want extra-rapid plant grown... I would like them to

grow
of course, but.... I think you understand.

Also, I'm suspecting the Emporer is not making the best use of the CO2

I'm
getting. Are there any suggestions that aren't (1) very expensive (2

and
more important) won't look ugly in my tank.

thanks so much,

bob