Old 12-02-2006, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens

Default A wonderful day just tooling around.................................

madgardener writes

seriously, I'm sorry you have to go to such extremes because I forgot once
to cut out a post.

I didn't realise it was you! I just saw Bev's name quickly as I spaced
down. If I'd realised it was you I wouldn't have posted, since I know
you are aware of the need to snip and wouldn't deliberately not snip.
Sorry!

And I also realize that it's not just me, it's others
who forget

Absolutely - there were three repostings of that one piece!

I was under the assumption that as sophisticated as the internet and
wireless capabilities, satellite and providers and browsers had gotten, it
didn't matter like it did seven years ago.

There are some urglers who are still on dial-up, and pay according to
the length of the call, so it does still matter for some.

However, it's not bandwidth from my point of view (I'm on broadband) -
it's wear and tear on my wrists. Mousework gives me RSI, so instead of
clicking on posts I want to read, or clicking on the 'next unread'
button, I simply hit the space bar, which takes me, in sequence, to the
next screen of that post, the next unread post in the thread, the next
unread post in the next thread, the next newsgroup ... I think several
other urglers do this too.

So it is awfully annoying to have to hit the spacebar 12 times just
because someone has added one line!

I wondered about whether it was fair to ask others to snip just to save
my wrists, but in Turnpike it's not necessary - you can just highlight a
small fragment and 'quote selected' - in other words, in Turnpike at
least, I'm not asking people to go down 12 screens selecting and
deleting. I don't know if OE and all the various access routes have the
same facility. And, I suppose, the bottom line is that that in-line
quoting and snipping is the convention in this group, so it's not
unreasonable to ask newcomers to do that.

--
Kay