Old 12-02-2006, 11:28 AM posted to aus.gardens
kathleen spencer

Default Why is Nothing Growing

Thank you Jonno.
Do not have transport and am nowhere near a Nursery plus finances run to
K-Mart only.
Have used good "Food" all trace elements incorporated, have also balanced
soil.
None of these things help.
Green plants grow like crazy but flowers, no way.

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards

Kate (Sydney, Australia)

"Jonno" wrote in message
rapdor wrote:
kathleen spencer wrote:

Good Afternoon

I hope you may be able to offer some comments on my lack of success
with my balcony garden.
For nearly two years I have tried growing simple annuals in long
rectangular plastic pots. I have used everything from cheap, to good
trade name potting soil.
Sunshine, good food, water, nothing makes any difference.
I buy strong, healthy seedlings from K-Mart but half don't grow and
those that do, offer four or five blooms then just seem to give up.
I have bought many dozens of plants, in about six different
varieties, all quite simple.
I have noticed that, when in despair, after a couple of months I pull
them out, the roots have just not grown at all.
What am I doing that is wrong ?

Would appreciate your comments.

Kind Regards

Kate (Sydney, Australia)

It could be your karma, that'll do it every time. Think back, have you
ever killed a Chinaman?

Er Chinamen maight make good compost, but thats a bit drastic.
Try adding some "trace" elements. Potting is not known for having a lot
of this in them. Also check the artificial soil for ph whether its
alkaline of acid.
By the way, K mart are known for their lack of advice. Suggest a local
nursery who can advice better than them. And it would be great to know
how you do. Also, a timed watering system is of help here.