Old 08-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Dave Liquorice

Default Childproofing garden ponds.

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003 09:31:23 +0000 (UTC), Paul Kelly wrote:

So, you have a hot iron and need to leave the room to get something,
so you say to your 2 year old "Don't touch" ?

No, say "Hot" or "Hot, don't touch." but it may be best to avoid the
"don't touch" part as that makes said 2 year old curious, "Why
shouldn't I touch it?". By saying "Hot" or "Hot, don't touch" you are
telling the child *why* they shouldn't touch.

By 2 both of my children knew what hot meant and touching things that
are hot was a bad idea. They learn't that mainly by the repeated
verbal association of hot and don't touch and very occasional
encounters with hot objects.

In the garden, you have a bonfire. You go away and leave it while
your 2 year old plays in the garden?

No, two year old would come with me.

You have a garden pond and take no physical precautions to keep your
2 year old out of the pond?

Not required as the child would never left alone in the garden, see
above. However our "garden" is a non flat, rough paddock of just under
an acre, tripping on tussuck grass or a rock is far bigger hazard than
the water trough. Or simply looseing them in the 6' high grass or a
dip!

In a more traditional garden I'd have put up an 18" high barrier of
garden mesh well supported on stakes. But again at 2 they wouldn't be
left alone there would be constant verbal education when near the
pond/it's fence.

I suspect that the reason that the stats show that most drownings
happen away from the home are due to the kids being unaware of the
danger either because they don't have a pond at home or the adults
supervising aren't vigilant enough. A 2 year old needs *constant*
watching, they have no fear or awareness of danger.

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.