Old 08-03-2003, 01:08 PM
kush

Default Food for Otos if no algae?

Empirical evidence only: The only tank I get green dot algae on the glass
is a 20-long with no snails - because it has botias in it. My other tanks
all have fleets of tiny ramshorns scouring the glass day and night.
Unfortunately for drawing firm conclusions, it is also the tank with the
highest light intensity.

kush

LeighMo wrote in message
what types of algae are ottos best at eating?

They like brown algae best. They eat "flat" algae; their sucker mouths

aren't
equipped for eating filamentous algae.

do they perhaps eat that course rough algae that loves to grow on glass?

If CAEs and plecos don't eat it, otos probably wouldn't, either. Nothing
really eats that bright green "spot" algae. It's too hard. Though they

might
eat it when it's still young and soft (and nearly invsible).

I've found snails to be the best at cleaning glass. But once that spot

algae
is old and hard, it's just not very palatable. Get an old credit card and
scrape it.

Leigh