Old 08-03-2003, 02:03 PM
Natalie

Default Childproofing garden ponds.

I was more brutal. I left a hot metal kettle on the ground, told
them "hot - don't touch" and didn't stop them. Yes, I was watching
closely, to ensure they didn't pour it over themselves.

The elder grabbed once, was comforted, tried with one fingertip the
next day and never again. She was WELL under two. The younger was
more naturally conservative and followed the behaviour of her sister.

They were both handling sharp kitchen knives by four, under careful
supervision - and both had been shown how "sharp hurts" in a way that
would cause no permanent damage. Yes, I did prod them with a knife
tip - and would now be regarded as a cruel parent.

The methods of Professor Pavlov work as well on children as on dogs,
except that human children are more intelligent and learn much faster.
Well, most do ....

Maybe working on your principal Nick, giving a young child a surprise
dipping in a pond might do the trick ;-)

The cat from next door misjudged her jump from next door's shed and landed,
all fours, into my pond...wish I'd had a camcorder to record her reaction!

Natalie