Old 12-02-2006, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
simy1

Default Ashes to Ashes

I use a trash can full of wood ash every year (some 40lbs), in my two
vegetable gardens. Half a brazier will not change the pH appreciably
but will eliminate any possible K, Ca, Mn, B, Mg deficiency. If you
used wood, fine. You can compute it yourself. My garden natural pH is
5.5, which is acid, and wood ash is 10.4. It will take approximately
2lb of wood ash to change the pH of 10 square yds by one unit.

If you used charcoal, if it was derived from wood, it will be fine
also. I am not up to date as to how they make briquettes these days. In
the old day, it was wood slow burned in a kiln. Also, you ought to know
your pH. If you are in the East, you will be fine most of the time. If
you have alkaline soil, it is a bad idea.