Old 12-02-2006, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Default Philodendron experiment

In article ,
Dan J.S. wrote:
I have a tank full off aggressive fish that eat any plant that I put into
the tank (they even chewed up some plastic ones). So I decided to do a
little experiment. Went to home depot, got a philodendron, and rinsed the
dirt away. I then wrapped the roots into nylon and stuck just the roots into
my 150 gallon tank. I then put in little hooks in the wall and strung the
plant across the wall. I want to see if this will help me with some nitrate
absorption. I have seen a few websites where this plant is used as a filter.

Does anyone think these plants will survive? I have the philodendron in many
vases in just water and they seem to be growing very well. I think the tank
water will be even better for them.

Rosario La Corte used to do this, like most things he did (ie breeding discus)
before anybody else. It's a sound idea that works very very well.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net