Old 08-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Rachel Sullivan

Default Best Clematis?

In article , Barry & Iris McCanna
writes

"Ken Saunders" wrote in message
. com...
snip

I am thinking of Clematis but I am open to other possibilities.

Thank you for any advice offered.

Pete Giblin

Hi Pete..Clematis Montana..pink or white. I think "Elizabeth"
is white and quite large.Perhaps a nurseryman could

discuss.
Takes about three years to overall cover.Flowers in May
Prune after flowering.Plant slightly deeper than in pot.
You won't be dissapointed..happy gardening Ken.

I think C. Montana "Elizabeth" is pink with large flowers.

Pale pink and scented. Other montana's more suitable as not as enormous
(Warwickshire Rose, Broughton Star, Freda, all around the 15ft mark) but
if you're putting it in a container don't forget to water and feed it.
Eventually it will outgrow it's pot and you will have to re-pot it or
start again.

You don't need to worry too much about planting montanas deep - not as
important as it is when you're planting a hybrid.

--
Rachel
Clematis Web Site