Old 12-02-2006, 10:32 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default Wintering plants inside

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 16:21:05 -0500, "Tom Puskar" wrote:

My wife says I'm full of hot air, think that'll work?

Only if it is gusty and directed towards the plants. ;o)

My plants haven't prospered over the Winter like this before and they all
really are in need of splitting. Some of the pots are bursting. I'm not
sure what sequence to use to split them. Should I split them in the next
few weeks (I'm in NJ and will probably put them back outside in April or May
depending on the weather) and let them acclimate in the house or should I
wait and move them outside, give them a few weeks and then split them?

Close to you, usually I can put plants out in a protected area the end of
March. I've always waited till then to decide whether to split them. Too
messy to work with them inside, not to mention my inner-gardener doesn't
wake up till about that time.

Currently my tallest plant is a violet stemmed taro at 5 feet. I wish I
could have kept a fan on them all winter, but my hot flashes took
precedence. I need to work it out so it hits us both. ;o) ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a