Old 08-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Kay Easton

Default Childproofing garden ponds.

In article , Brian Watson
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

That's not to say I wouldn't help a child in distress - but I am not
going to fill in my pond in case someone else lets their child wander
round it unattended.

The issue is about taking reasonable precautions.

If you have let people with children onto your property and you are aware
there is a hazard, and it appears from the postings so far that "other
people's ponds" are a hazard for children, it makes sense to tell the
visitors about it.

Of course it does. It does not make sense for me to fill in my pond,
surround it by an impenetrable fence or cover it with a grid.

Nor does it fall to me to keep an eye on visitors' children. Obviously,
if I notice we are a child missing, I will alert the parents. And if I
am aware that a child is heading towards a hazard, I will head it back
the other way and warn its parents. But the responsibility for the
child's welfare is with them, unless they have asked me, and I have
agreed, to look after the child on their behalf.

I wonder if you would be as cavalier about your children when they were on
other people's property?

Of course I would. What my children do on other people's property is my
responsibility. I wouldn't dream of expecting my host or any of the
other guests to take on that responsibility. Nor would I blame my host
if they hadn't pointed out all hazards to me - it is difficult for
someone without young children to know or remember all the ways in which
they can get into trouble.

I would have been grateful if someone had pointed out such hazards when my
children were young enough to make such potentially- dangerous errors of
judgement.

Of course you would have been. You are not, I hope, suggesting that I
have argued anywhere against pointing out hazards?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/