Old 10-02-2006, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian

Default Couch Grass

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article , Rupert wrote:
"Robert" wrote in message

Anyway to our thread ....I never thought of using that weedkiller.

There
used to be one that you could mix up and spray in amongst fruit bushes
etc.,
and it only killed grass. You don't know if there's anything like that
around still do you?

There was something but it got the chop for domestic use (I think).
When I have time I will find out more for you.

No, that's glyphosate again. There was something before, but it
wasn't just banned - it was superseded by glyphosate in commercial
use!

Glyphosate simply washes off bark and is neutralised by the soil
(and eventually broken down). When you see commercial orchards
with dead grass around trees, that is glyphosate being used.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

We use paraquat [grammoxone] around the base of fruit trees. It kills
all but perennials and works/ shows almost within hours. This is followed
later with roundup, selectively, on the surviving perennials. Paraquat
is only a fraction of the cost of roundup and totally forgiving if splashing
the tree's leaves. [ Only kills those splashed]. Roundup is not forgiving
and if a rootstock has a sucker showing then the whole tree will be at risk.
Grammoxone would only have affected the sucker. It is very poisonous and is
dyed to show where touched, as it became quite popular!!.
Best Wishes Brian.