Old 08-03-2003, 06:57 PM
ned

Default Bird nesting boxes

eddy wrote:
whats a good mounting height on a tree ?
is there a recomended height ?

just as a matter of interest how come i never see any baby wood
pigeons ,they are always fully grown . ??
curious........

i have put up one nest box and a pair of sparrows have appeared .
first time for ages i have seen any sparrows.

1. ........... It all depends.
High enough or well defended enough to deter predators.
Dunnocks and tits are happy enough to nest only dive feet up in dense
hedges. Thrushes and blackbirds usually choose higher nests in more
open trees. Robins are opportunists and will nest in all sorts of odd
places. I have two boxes which are so well hidden that I can't see
them. I figure they appreciate privacy.
2. Re young pigeons. They spend longer in the nest than many
fledglings and therefore appear to be more mature when they leave.
3. 'Lucky, I guess. We have more tree sparrows than house sparrows.
But then, we have more trees than houses. :-)

--
ned