Old 13-02-2006, 06:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
madgardener

Default A wonderful day just tooling around.................................

"K" wrote in message

I didn't realise it was you! I just saw Bev's name quickly as I spaced
down. If I'd realised it was you I wouldn't have posted, since I know you
are aware of the need to snip and wouldn't deliberately not snip. Sorry!

I apologize too for my unwittingness. but I was teasing you in my last
appalled or horrified at things, and I just want to lighten up and smile
about it and move forwards. As tired as I was and it was strange to be
reading and checking rec.gardens from somewhere else. And the older style
mouse was a bit clumsy for me. That's the main reason I didn't scroll down
and erase the excess post before replying. Beverly was one of the original
posters in the newsgroup, back with Victoria who is quiet lately but I know
is still there. Pam (grdngal) is busy with her life too, and a few have
been lost due to AOL dropping newsgroups like "the other Marilyn" from Ohio,
I see Paghat upon occaison, a rare siting of Zennie, I wonder sometimes how
Toni down in Louisiana is doing since the devistation from the hurricane's.

And I also realize that it's not just me, it's others
who forget

Absolutely - there were three repostings of that one piece!

I saw that!

There are some urglers who are still on dial-up, and pay according to
the length of the call, so it does still matter for some.

However, it's not bandwidth from my point of view (I'm on broadband) -
it's wear and tear on my wrists. Mousework gives me RSI, so instead of
clicking on posts I want to read, or clicking on the 'next unread' button,
I simply hit the space bar, which takes me, in sequence, to the next
screen of that post, the next unread post in the thread, the next unread
post in the next thread, the next newsgroup ... I think several other
urglers do this too.

So it is awfully annoying to have to hit the spacebar 12 times just
because someone has added one line!

I wondered about whether it was fair to ask others to snip just to save my
wrists, but in Turnpike it's not necessary - you can just highlight a
small fragment and 'quote selected' - in other words, in Turnpike at
least, I'm not asking people to go down 12 screens selecting and deleting.
I don't know if OE and all the various access routes have the same
facility. And, I suppose, the bottom line is that that in-line quoting and
snipping is the convention in this group, so it's not unreasonable to ask
newcomers to do that.

--
Kay

and you're right. the newbies need educating like I was once educated, and
occaisonally forget. I'm doing better, though.....I haven't lost that flamed
ass look for posting the jpg on the newsgroup for someone who innocently
asked me and like some idjet, I said "SURE!" and as soon as I hit send, I
realized I should have marked it OT. I got flamed and rightly so. I now
only send jpg's (reduced of course, since I don't have a website and am
still learning about photobucket) to those who want them and can download
without problems and post a few on the pictures binaries newsgroup. I don't
go there often though. sorry about the snafu.
madgardener