Old 13-02-2006, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
William Barger

Default Bareroot vs. potted

I ordered 8 roses online today. I want a garden with a theme. Already
have a butterfly, vegetable, and bird gardens. I decided on a patriotic
theme incorporating only red, white, and blue flowers. I ordered Mr.
Lincoln, Let Freedom Ring, JFK, Veterans Honor, Ronald Reagan, and
Double Delight. These were all container roses. Ordered two Blue Girl
which are bareroot, so I will get some bareroot experience. Low growing
Blue Daze will be utilized for more blue since no true blue rose exists.
The front couple feet will be exclusively for annuals. First planting
will be blue Lobelia, and red and white Zinnia Elegans. When it gets
hotter I will plant red and white saliva. Two birdfeeders, a birdbath,
and a blue gazing ball will also be incorporated. I will be widening the
garden by 2' and adding 4' in length. Got all the amendments (cow poo,
bone meal, epsom salts, potting soil, and mulch) yesterday. It was down
in the 50s today, too cold to work outside. Some of you Northerners just
gave me a dirty look. : ) I will keep you posted as to the garden's
progress. Thanks for the advice.
Bill