Old 13-02-2006, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht

Default Ashes to Ashes

"simy1" wrote:

I use a trash can full of wood ash every year (some 40lbs), in my two
vegetable gardens.

I'm with you here-- I always spread wood ash on my garden back when I
burned wood. [Actually on the 50 feet where I planted a double row
of peas. Rotated around the garden. The peas liked the sweetness &
the whole garden got done eventually.]

-snip-
If you used charcoal, if it was derived from wood, it will be fine
also. I am not up to date as to how they make briquettes these days.

-snip-

I have seen repeated warnings *not* to use charcoal ashes as there are
chemicals in the briquettes that kill plants. That might be true,
but I've been dumping mine in a flower bed for 3 years [since we got
rid of the propane grill] and it hasn't hurt the flowers any. I
only go through about 100 pounds of charcoal per season, and I use
Kingsford hickory flavored briquets exclusively. More ash or a
different brand might harm something.

Jim