Old 13-02-2006, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aem

Default Last of the Broccoli

Here in SoCal the so-called winter has been warm and dry, but still
good for what we think of as cool season crops. This last hot spell
(high 70's, low 80's) has ended my broccoli for the year. It was
already down to the smaller side heads and they were all about to bolt
so I cut them yesterday. Ate about a third of it last night, mostly
thin tender stalks needing no peeling, just some little florets. I
steamed them for 3 minutes, drained and cooled. Then when the rest of
the meal was ready, tossed the broccoli in butter, salt and pepper, and
a squeeze of lemon juice. I know we usually value the florets, but
these young stalks were utterly delicious.

Now shall I try to get another cool season veggie in the vacated space,
or should I wait a few weeks for an early sowing of something for the
summer season? -aem