Old 13-02-2006, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Claire Petersky

Default Salmonberry - pruning?

I have some salmonberry bushes. It started with a single volunteer, and now
I have several. They're in a good spot, really, right at the edge of the
garden, where there's a drop-off. I have read that salmonberry is useful for
stablizing slopes, and it is a slope that needs stablizing. So, as a native
plant, I've let them be.

Since they've spread without too much difficulty, I have some concern about
them being invasive. A few clumps growing along the fence and under the vine
maple and fir is fine, but I'm afraid I let them go entirely, they'd turn
into a thicket.

Salmonberries are a member of the rubus family. Since this is the time of
year I'd be prunining roses, I figured it was a good time to prune the
salmonberries too. I hacked them down to about a meter in height. Do you
think this would be effective in keeping them in check? Or is it just going
to encourage them to grow more?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky