Old 08-03-2003, 08:23 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Kingsville Boxwood care

Jim why do you say wire in the winter ive always done
my kingsvilles in early spring. I only have 2
kingsvilles one i just got this past october, the
other ive removed 1/4 of the roots for the past 3
years and this year it will finally be ready for a
bonsai pot. I have heard of people removing even half
of the root ball with no problem but i haven't been
gutsy enough to try. My kingsvilles spent the winter
outside this year "their first winter outside". They
seemed to really enjoy the rest and are beginning to
grow just this past week.

That's how I was taught. I wire VERY few trees in the spring.
It's when they are growing at their fastest and you are just
asking to have wire cut into the bark of something. I do
boxwoods in mid fall, and keep the wires on until new green shows
in the early spring, when I cut the wire away. For boxwoods, I
pinch (heavily) and prune (lightly, and only where I suddenly
decide it's needed) through the growing season.

Thinking about it, I don't have wire on anything right now while
growth goes rampant. I rushed out into the rain, swam out to my
bonsai table, and brought in and de-wired the last hophornbeam
yesterday.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --