Old 14-02-2006, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Spud newbie: planting timetable

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I read recently that Good Friday is a traditional day for planting your
spuds.

Absolutely.

I also read that Gardeners World had done a trial on whether chitted or
un-chitted potatoes grow the best and apparently un-chitted won.
Although they did state that it could purely be down to the specific
conditions in which the underwent the trial.

It would be interesting to also know how many 'eyes' they kept on the
spud. I usually keep 3 strong upper eyes and remove all the others. I
think they got lucky. Also, my mate last year did the non dig system.
We larfed at her, a lot, because she just plonked the spud on a pile of
manure and covered the lot with grass clippings. She did this over and
over again. She had an amazing crop and lots left at xmas. grumbles