Old 08-03-2003, 09:01 PM
Keith \(Portland\)

Default covering a north facing windy wall?

Hi,

Has anyone any ideas on planting up a north facing wall about 15ft by 15ft?
It is rendered stone, painted creamish colour and gets sun in the mornings
in the spring and summer, but has rather a draughty eastern aspect. We very
rarely get frost, ice or snow but the wind chill factor can be high on
occasions. The wall is clearly visible from the house and plants need to be
in containers because a concrete patio to the base of the wall. I imagine a
wooden trellis will be necessary.

We have tried honeysuckle clinging to netting, but it always gets totally
ruined by greenfly there, yet it grows extremely well everywhere else in the
garden (with its feet in the ground) - why? This is a different strain of
honeysuckle and should be a golden in colour. Is it likely to be OK when
transplanted elsewhere?

Many thanks for any attractive ideas, particularly for those that might look
good all the year round.

Keith