Old 15-02-2006, 08:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Eric Hunt

Default Z mackayi

Danny,

Bzzt, that's silly. There is no authoritative source for plant names,
period. Everyone publishes and everyone discusses and arguments can be made
pro/con for every name. And now at the start of the era of molecular
studies, names are getting even more uncertain.

This particular instance may have consensus from taxonomists, but there will
be others where Kew is clearly in the wrong and the AOS will just be
perpetuating the error.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

"danny" wrote in message
. ..
The AOS is now using the Kew Monocot Checklist to determine species names.
The Kew Monocot Checklist shows Z. maculatum as the accepted name. That's
pretty much the end of the story. If you have any questions about an
award you received, you should contact the chair of the judging center
that gave the award.
-danny

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
Last Nov I received a CCM for a Zygo mackayi. I just received the bill
from AOS and the plant is listed as Z maculatum. My version of wildcat
does not even show maculatum as a valid Zygopetalum species. Does any
one know if the name on the bill is right (taxonomist at work) or is just
a clerical error? If it is a clerical error, do I call AOS, the head of
the judging center, or the head judge for the show? Kenni, I feel your
pain.

Thanks,
Pat