Old 15-02-2006, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

Default Spud newbie: planting timetable

1st week of June for last frosts here in Bawtry, Doncaster.
I plant my earlies around Good Friday, I know it is a date that does a
lot of moving - March or April but as a point it doesn't seem to make
much difference.
With regards to chitting. As a kid I would spend time on the farm
cutting up sets and laying out on wooded chitting trays. Now seed
spuds come in 1 tonne builders bags and dropped straight into planting
machine. So it would appear commercially the times have moved on.
Turning over the ground the other day I found a few stray spuds which
has almost 5cm of growth on them, so they are already making a start.
Clifford