Old 15-02-2006, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al

Default Z mackayi

I wonder why Kew authorities have decided to accept a name published only in
1970 over one published first in 1827. The acceptance of the oldest
published name is the rule and exception to it are generally explained
someplace to somebody in writing. It seems to be true that spelling errors
and Latin grammatical errors do not supersede the "first name published"
rule. I can't remember my Latin suffix endings so I don't even know if
mackayi has the correct gender ending, so I should be loath to hint that
this might be why the newer name is given precedence.

Zygopetalum mackayi Hook., Bot. Mag. 54: t. 2748 (1827).
Zygopetalum maculatum (Kunth) Garay, Orquideologia 5: 189 (1970).

Oh, I see somebody beat me to it, but I was going to look up this plant on
Kew's site and see what they had to say about it because it is rumored that
AOS has begun to defer to this group of taxomaniacs (read it again) for
plant names. I don't know why this true is or even if it is, but the close
association of RHS with the AOS is undeniable. If it is true, the link to
it becomes an important source of info. And at the risk of being accused of
re-screwing a lightbulk, here is that link again.
http://www.kew.org/wcsp/home.do

It is a helpful link, for what it's worth.

Who do you contact among the AOS/judges to learn what's going on with your
award? I would contact to the head of
the local judging center, isn't that Taylor Slaughter still? ...and ask her
who to speak with. Let the run-around begin there.

Congratulations.

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Danny,

Bzzt, that's silly. There is no authoritative source for plant names,
period. Everyone publishes and everyone discusses and arguments can be
made pro/con for every name. And now at the start of the era of molecular
studies, names are getting even more uncertain.

This particular instance may have consensus from taxonomists, but there
will be others where Kew is clearly in the wrong and the AOS will just be
perpetuating the error.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

"danny" wrote in message
. ..
The AOS is now using the Kew Monocot Checklist to determine species
names. The Kew Monocot Checklist shows Z. maculatum as the accepted name.
That's pretty much the end of the story. If you have any questions about
an award you received, you should contact the chair of the judging center
that gave the award.
-danny

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
Last Nov I received a CCM for a Zygo mackayi. I just received the bill
from AOS and the plant is listed as Z maculatum. My version of wildcat
does not even show maculatum as a valid Zygopetalum species. Does any
one know if the name on the bill is right (taxonomist at work) or is
just a clerical error? If it is a clerical error, do I call AOS, the
head of the judging center, or the head judge for the show? Kenni, I
feel your pain.

Thanks,
Pat