Old 15-02-2006, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Old tyres on allotment

In article ,
Robert wrote:

"Zinc Potterman" . (delete 123's to reply) wrote
in message ...
:I just acquired an allotment and there are lots of old tyres dotted about.
: I was hoping to stay pretty organic.
: Do I need to get the tyres off quick?
: Are they a source of pollution/toxins as they break down?

I don't think they break down, well not in our life time anyway. Bob
Flowerdew uses them and he is 'King Organic' so they must be ok but it'll be
interesting to hear other answers

No, that is wrong. They break down in 5+ years, depending on the tyre,
from a combination of ultraviolet and oxygen. They may take a very
long time to break down completely. If they are natural rubber (and
your guess is as good as mine), then the main other materials are
sulphur and carbon (both pretty harmless), plus the steel and fibres
of the reinforcement.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.