Old 15-02-2006, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Default Z mackayi

Pat: As best as I can figure, the head of the judging center for the
location where the award was given is the place to start. He or she will
send you to someone more junior, who may send you on to someone even more
junior, but eventually you'll get to the right person if you persevere. If
you try to short-circuit the process and get directly there, you'll probably
end up having to climb the chain back to the top and then back down ...

The name is probably "right" according to AOS at the moment. As a hobbyist,
probably better to just change it (maybe keeping the "old" name on the back
of the tag, in case some taxonomist changes his/her mind). If you're a
professional grower, and intending to clone it, I'd suggest finding some way
to put both names on the tag [either the new or the old in parentheses or
brackets], so your customers can recognize it.

WildCatt is 6+ months behind the changes at RHS, and I really don't see how
they could do what they do any quicker. All these changes have to be making
Helga's life thoroughly miserable.

The AOS/RHS relationship seems to be very elastic -- sometimes close,
sometimes "WHO???"

Best of luck, Kenni

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
Last Nov I received a CCM for a Zygo mackayi. I just received the bill
from AOS and the plant is listed as Z maculatum. My version of wildcat
does not even show maculatum as a valid Zygopetalum species. Does any one
know if the name on the bill is right (taxonomist at work) or is just a
clerical error? If it is a clerical error, do I call AOS, the head of the
judging center, or the head judge for the show? Kenni, I feel your pain.

Thanks,
Pat