Old 16-02-2006, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Frank Miles

Default Seed source: licorice mint ?

In article ,
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:57:21 +0000 (UTC), (Frank
Miles) wrote:

We used to have a licorice mint plant. Its leaves had a wonderful taste, and
it (surprise!) wasn't even invasive. It has died, and I haven't found anywhere
that sells the seed.

Anyone know of a source? I didn't see one in all the entries that google yielded.

http://www.dabneyherbs.com/

http://mulberrycreek.com/Catalog/

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/herbsmton.htm

These companies have a large selection of mints, and you might email
them for more information.

Wow! Thanks for the pointers. What selections!

And, to avoid confusion, you aren't talking about Anise-hyssop
(_Agastache foeniculum_) are you? It's also known as Korean mint,
licorice mint, or anise mint. Here are some pictures of it.
http://www.holoweb.com/nature/plants...Foeniculum.htm

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...oeniculum.html

Yes, I'd seen references to anise hyssop, but wasn't (and am still not) sure that
is what we were growing. It looks interesting regardless -- think I'll try it.
The picture is far too small to be sure. Our plant wasn't nearly 3' tall (half
that at most), but we were growing it in a relatively dry location.

If that's what you're looking for, google anise hyssop or Agastache,
and you'll find lots of sources.

Penelope

Thanks, Penelope!

-frank