Old 16-02-2006, 08:39 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default Exposed Roots

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

A lot of trees will have roots across the top of the soil...
Why do you care? :-) It's not hurting the trees.

If you are concerned about looks and tripping over them, just bring
in a truckload of good soil and re-bury them. Build a circular rock
border to hold the dirt and plant a shade garden.

That's what I'd do anyway?

If you bury the roots very deep, you'll kill the tree. Someone who knows
please chime in, but I believe you shouldn't add more than one or two inches
of soil.

Probably best to talk to a tree surgeon...

I built a 6" wall around my big hackberry about 10 years ago, but it
only extends out about 24" from the tree. The tree appears to still be
fine, but it gets regular watering too due to the shade garden being
there.
--
Peace, Om.