Old 16-02-2006, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Municipal compost: spread of disease?

Rhiannon Macfie Miller wrote:
Our local council has been running a garden waste collection system for
some time, and has recently started making the compost therefrom
available for collection. I like the idea of free compost, but I'm a
little worried about whether I'll end up inflicting someone else's nasty
plant diseases on my garden if I use it. Is there much chance of that
happening, or is there some sort of regulation about sterilising compost?

Like you at first I was worried. When our green bins arrived at our
door step I saw many horrors ending up in them and when the compost was
for sale I worried. The green waste is heated to such a temperature it
kills off any pathogene. I beleive it is really safe. Tons upon tons
are being used in parks, gardens and HDRA is even making experiments
with farmers. Check this link to reassure yourself and find out where
your compost is being 'made'.

http://www.recycle.mcmail.com/green.htm