Old 16-02-2006, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Is it a Greenouse/Glasshouse/Conservatory

The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

A friend is about to built a hybrid of all three elements of a
Greenhouse/Glasshouse/Conservatory.

AIUI a greenhouse is a glasshouse is a greenhouse...

....unless you mean military jug?

I can not quite understand the subtle differences between the three.
His architect is asking for glazing specifications.

Greenhouse/glasshouse is an outbuilding and normally doesn't need
planning permission, and doesn't affect the rateable value of the
property.

A conservatory, OTOH, is - or can be - treated as part of the house, and
rateable.

There used to be a provision whereby it was slightly detached from the
main building so did not qualify as part of the house, however, I have
an idea that that loophole - or crack - has been closed in both senses.

Is Horticultural glass still used for anything or has H&S banned it?

Dunno. AFAIK it is still available for greenhouses, but he'll have to
ask about building regs if it's going to be stuck on the side of the
house.

Polycarbonate is out for fire reasons.

For a conservatory, maybe. OTOH, I've seen plenty of carports covered
with polycarbonate, and a friend's conservatory is roofed with twinwall
polycarbonate, so maybe not.

Would safety glass allow all the benefits of Horticultural glass
without the
inherent problems?

I expect it would be double-glazed, so it would be better.

I'd ask in The Shed - Guy King has just molished a conservative, so will
be able to answer at least some of your questions.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig