Old 17-02-2006, 01:27 PM posted to austin.gardening
jOhN

Default Exposed Roots

Art wrote:
Hello all,

I moved to a house in San Antonio a few months ago.
This house has in the backyard two tall trees and
several small tree/bushes, (photinia and others).
Many of them have big and long roots running on
top of the soil.

Have you seen this? What can I do about it?

Regards,
Art

My neighborhood has a bunch of arizona river ash that were planted in
1982 as a quick growing contractor tree. They started pushing roots to
the surface about 15 years ago and haven't stopped since. Some of my
neighbors have also had them get into their sewer lines since they seek
water sources. You need to determine the species to help figure out if
your stuff is worth keeping around. Several neighbors have had tree
chopping parties and replaced them with more valueable and attractive
specimens.

If you have an erosion problem that is exposing the roots I've had great
luck in terracing my yard tp prevent it.