Old 17-02-2006, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
TMC

Default Is it a Greenouse/Glasshouse/Conservatory

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

A friend is about to built a hybrid of all three elements of a
Greenhouse/Glasshouse/Conservatory.

AIUI a greenhouse is a glasshouse is a greenhouse...

...unless you mean military jug?

I can not quite understand the subtle differences between the three.
His architect is asking for glazing specifications.

Greenhouse/glasshouse is an outbuilding and normally doesn't need
planning permission, and doesn't affect the rateable value of the
property.

A conservatory, OTOH, is - or can be - treated as part of the house, and
rateable.

There used to be a provision whereby it was slightly detached from the
main building so did not qualify as part of the house, however, I have
an idea that that loophole - or crack - has been closed in both senses.

Is Horticultural glass still used for anything or has H&S banned it?

Yep

just taken delivery of a greenhouse where standard spec was horticultural
glass (I had opted for tempered glass instead for safety reasons)

Tony