Old 17-02-2006, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default 2 problems..hedge &soil..

The message
from taneys contains these words:

Its my very first post to the forum.I am a beginner & know nothing
about gardening but I am quite determined to become a respectable
gardener.To begin with,I want to plant a hedge on one side of the
garden.Can you please suggest me an economical,low maintainance
evergreen hedge.My hubby loves flowers so it would be nice if i have a
flowery one...will welcome any of your suggestions!

Does not compute.

You can get a fairly low maintenance evergreen hedge (but slowly) with
say, box, but the flowers are generally insignificant.

Holly would be faster, but need more maintenance, and I can't think of
anything which is evergreen, flowers nicely and is low-maintenance.
Berberis, possibly. However, Berberis vulgaris is a host plant of wheat
rust, so if you are anywhere near arable fields, you might be planting a
source of infection.

Another problem I am facing is that my ground has got all clay in it &
no soil.

Clay *IS* soil. ITYM 'loam'.

Is there a way to get rid of it?

JCB? Start a brickworks?

I have used rotovator but it
didn't help much.

It won't: it's rather like stirring the christmas pud mix.

I want to lay down new grass & plants..will be
grateful for your help!

You need to add compost, sand and powdered chalk to make the lawn happy,
drain well, and not get squishy when it rains. The more compost the
better. Peat would do, or mushroom compost.

Likewise with the beds, but the chalk is probably not important.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig