Old 17-02-2006, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Default Municipal compost: spread of disease?

Sacha wrote:
On 17/2/06 1:00 pm, in article ,
"jane" wrote:

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 08:22:39 +0000 (UTC), "Robert"
wrote:

~
~"Rhiannon Macfie Miller" wrote in message
~news ~: Our local council has been running a garden waste collection system for
~: some time, and has recently started making the compost therefrom
~: available for collection. I like the idea of free compost, but I'm a
~: little worried about whether I'll end up inflicting someone else's nasty
~: plant diseases on my garden if I use it. Is there much chance of that
~: happening, or is there some sort of regulation about sterilising compost?
~:
~: Rhiannon
~
~We use it in Plymouth, seems to do a good job, £10 for a large trailer.
~

Huh. Here it's nearly £3 for a quite small bagful. Peat compost's
cheaper by miles - how on earth do they think they can get away with
charging so much for so little and expecting us to give up buying
peat? I like the idea of 'supply two bags of greenery, get to take one
bag of compost home free' but no chance of that with our lot!

(I also don't trust them to sterilise it right, which would be a
disaster if Japanese nightmareweed was a component...)

In Jersey, each parish composts its road sweepings over the year and it's
auctioned off. Known as bannelais, it goes for quite a good price to the
local farmers in more rural parishes!

Ok, so all deceases will be killed, but what about additives. By this I
mean if I put weedkiller on my lawn, or spray my plants will this pass
through to the compost? In other words will it be truly "organic"?