Old 17-02-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

Default 2 problems..hedge &soil..

Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from Rusty Hinge 2 contains these words:

The message
from taneys contains these words:

Its my very first post to the forum.I am a beginner & know nothing
about gardening but I am quite determined to become a respectable
gardener.To begin with,I want to plant a hedge on one side of the
garden.Can you please suggest me an economical,low maintainance
evergreen hedge.My hubby loves flowers so it would be nice if i have a
flowery one...will welcome any of your suggestions!

Does not compute.

You can get a fairly low maintenance evergreen hedge (but slowly) with
say, box, but the flowers are generally insignificant.

Holly would be faster, but need more maintenance, and I can't think of
anything which is evergreen, flowers nicely and is low-maintenance.

Escallonia, except in very cold areas. It will require clipping at
least once a year but so will any hedge.

Some of the cotoneasters might also qualify. I think pyracantha makes a
nice hedge. It is evergreen and you get both flowers and red berries for
the birds (orange or yellow some cultivars). Only trouble is it is
rather viciously armed with spines. It is definitely stock proof!

Most things with nice flowers and/or fruit are too vigorous to be a low
maintainence hedge. Cordonned apples will eventually make a nice but
fairly high maintenence hedge if trained properly. I share a boundary
with my neightbour planted to apples and pears.

Regards,
Martin Brown