Old 17-02-2006, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

Default 2 problems..hedge &soil..

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:52:49 +0000, taneys
wrote:

Hi,

Its my very first post to the forum.I am a beginner & know nothing
about gardening but I am quite determined to become a respectable
gardener.

Welcome!

To begin with,I want to plant a hedge on one side of the
garden.Can you please suggest me an economical,low maintainance
evergreen hedge.My hubby loves flowers so it would be nice if i have a
flowery one...will welcome any of your suggestions!

Victoriana Nursery Gardens (www.victoriana.ws) are advertising Rosa
Rugosa plants for a hedge - can reach 6-7ft tall within 2 years with
red, pink and white flowers. 10 plants for £16. Is this expensive?
I've never bought hedge plants so I don't know. Perhaps you could mix
a few into a cheaper hedge.

Another problem I am facing is that my ground has got all clay in it &
no soil.Is there a way to get rid of it?I have used rotovator but it
didn't help much.I want to lay down new grass & plants..will be
grateful for your help!

A clay soil is a nuisance but not all bad news. It holds nutrients
well - they don't wash away quickly as they would in a sandy soil.
You need to get yourself a big compost heap going and keep digging the
compost into the clay, chopping the clay into tiny bits with your
spade as you dig the compost in (or rotovate it in). It will remind
you of plum cake when it's done (or it used to when I had a clay soil
in Cheshire) and your veggies and flowers will be wonderful!

In the meantime, grass won't be very happy on a clay soil because it
compacts so easily and water won't drain away. You could try mixing
into your rotovated clay as much sharp sand or grit (not builder's
sand, as this is too fine) as you can get hold of - this will help the
water drain through.

Many thanx!
Tania.

Best of luck!