Old 17-02-2006, 09:48 PM posted to austin.gardening
Art

Default Exposed Roots

I was surprised to see so many roots since in the past citiess I
have lived did not have them (at least in the bushes). I do remember
in big trees like pecans.

One reason not to have them is because I hit one with the lawn
mower and it got damaged. I thought changing the blade would
fix it, but it had a lot of vibration after I installed a new blade.
Turns out that the shaft is bent also.

I then had to open the engine and I was surprised to see that this
Briggs&stratton engine does not have any protection for this type
of accident. The full crankshaft is one piece and its directly
attached to the blade.

I ended up buying another lawn mower, but observed that electric
mowers have a plastic part to attach the blade to the shaft. So in this

kind of accident the plastic part will break protecting the motor.
Changing the plastic part is probably easy and not too expensive
as changing the crankshaft to the engine. The new mower that I bought
has probably the same problem. It has a smaller Honda engine but
the shaft is attached to the blade with a metal piece. The blade looks
thiner and the engine is lighter, so I hope is a bit more resistant.

So, coming back to the roots issue. Probably two factors are
coming into effect, the previous owner(s) were watering only
superficially, or there are too many rocks in the soil. I'll try to put

some extra dirt if possible.

Thanks and regards,
Art