Old 18-02-2006, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
doug

Default Old tyres on allotment

"K" wrote in message
news
Zinc Potterman writes
To genuine replies many thanks for info.#
The rest of you need to find something to do.

We have. We talk around subjects suggested by the posts on this group.
This isn't an advice bureau, you know - it's a discussion group.
--
Kay

************

A little humour interspersed here and there lightens life a wee bit and
doesn't offend me.
As regards the subject in hand I have, - through the years, many times seen
tyres stacked one on top of the other and way back this was the method used
by friends of mine who were keen carrot contestants at shows. They piled
enough tyres for their purpose and filled the inside up to the top with
their own 'secret' mix of compost. They then shoved broom handle down the
middle. They then - with the bottom of the stick (handle) kept still ,
revolve the handle in circular fashion until they had formed a long tapering
'tube' shape in the pile compost. they then filled the lengthy (ice-cream
cornet shaped) with another special secret soft, thin compost. Then they
sowed the or four seeds each in three or four or five 'tubes'. As they
grew, the weaklings were nipped out leaving one plant in each 'tube.' They
are then fed with the gardener's own secret fluids .
For show purposes unblemished carrots of excellent shape and skin features,
four to five feet long were quite common.
Doug.