Old 18-02-2006, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Timothy

Default A Budding new Business

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:24:46 -0800, Chuckie wrote:

Thanks Timothy.
I am very new to the web design and I am not sure what hosting service
to go through.
http://www.top-10-web-hosting.com/ I looked at this page and I know who
yahoo is but I don't know any of the others. What hosting service do you
use?
I am planing to launch a dot com site but I am not satified with any of
the options I have found.
I don't know how much space I need I don't know what type of service
options I need. I would in the future want to have the option of online
orders.
I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. Chuckie

I'm not using a hosting service, I made my own. If your using broadband
for net access, then you most likely can run your own web server from home
for free. As long as you keep the pages rather light on graphics and watch
your files sizes, then you can run one also. Ofcourse you would have to
learn about configuring a web server, hand crafting pages and the like,
but I sit on my butt for 4 or more weeks every winter. I had the time to
learn and besides.... I'm a super geek deep down.

With all that said, GoDaddy seems like the one stop for you. Cheap dot.com
address (on sale of 1.99 atm), and their hosting plans seem cheap also. I
really couldn't see your current site using more than 25 megs worth of
space. You should be able to find lots of cheap web hosting for that
ammount of space. Go and lurk at alt.webhosting and the other webhost
groups. I'm sure you can find hosting for 2 dollars a month.

Unsure what your business plan is, but I'm assuming that you wish to sell
directly to customers? Are you going to do farmer's markets, or are you
selling only from the farm? I ask because I know quite a few organic
farmers out here (wife's parents are a bunch of hippies) and they are
starting to go to subscription farming.

This seems like a good route for the customer and the farmer. In good
years, customers get a bounty and in bad years the customer suffers along
with you. This may seem kind of screwy, but the customer feels invested
and connected to the farm. You can also get some co-op help for harvesting
during the season. There is a lower price for those who wish to pick
themselves vrs you picking and boxing.

Another model that is growing out here is the direct connect farm. These
are relationships that the farmer creates with a few local resturants. The
higher end cheffs love having day fresh product to use and they also can
ask the farmer to grow much different produce than they can purchase from
commercial sources. Again the resturant is sharing the risk with the
farmer or sharing the bounty. In the end, the farmer get to concentrate
more on farming and less on selling and the cheff get much better produce
to work with and more freedom with their menu.

--
http://resources.ywgc.com/