Old 19-02-2006, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
whitewater262

Default Need opinions about tomato plants

The flames and off-topic posts are quickly ruining this thread, so
I'll try again.

I live in southern Wisconsin, and I'm planning my garden for summer.
Each year, I grow tomatoes, which are frequently in demand at the local
food pantry. A few summers ago, I gave them more than 850 tomatoes.
Because my space is limited, I always plant a number of tomatoes in
containers.

NOTE: Cherry tomatoes are not much in demand, and most of the people
I've encountered here prefer red tomatoes of some considerable size
- large enough to be used for sandwiches and so on.

Before I came to this group, I did research online, but I never found
the answers I was seeking. I've already visited several garden web
sites, none of which offered customer feedback about the container
varieties I'm planning to grow. If anyone has enjoyed personal
experience with these, I'd love to hear about them. I've found
that such feedback has tremendous value.

Burpee Bushsteak
Bush Goliath
Bush Celebrity
Bush Champion
Super Bush

I have enough yard space to plant some tomatoes in the ground -
probably no more than 10 plants. First Prize, Jumbo Hybrid, Jet Star,
New Yorker, and Oregon Spring are the ones I'm leaning towards, but
I'd welcome opinions from the group about this as well.

P.S. Thanks to those of you who already offered such polite,
supportive replies.