Old 19-02-2006, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default Municipal compost: spread of disease?

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 20:34:16 +0000, Rhiannon Macfie Miller
wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

Apparently, since the foot and
mouth epidemic, bureaucracy has gone berserk and DEFRA won't allow
distribution of the stuff to the general public until it's been
confirmed that the composting process renders it sterile.

I've looked into what the council are up to a little more now, and
apparently in areas down the road from me they're trialling a
landfill-avoidance scheme, part of which involves kitchen and food waste
(including meat and fish) going into the same bin as the garden waste
for collection and central composting. Presumably this is still the
same stuff that they're offering to us lot, so I would imagine it must
pass some pretty stringent tests… mustn't it?

Rhiannon

I don't know about putrescible (?sp) household waste. My understanding
of the delay here was because it was farm waste that was being added
(liquid cow manure), and could contain cattle diseases that DEFRA (or
anyone else) wouldn't want being inadvertently spread around the
countryside by gardeners.

--
Chris