Old 19-02-2006, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

Default Fat lady wellington boots

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 07:40:11 GMT
Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from lillia contains these words:

Hi everyone, I love gardening but with the garden turning into a bit of
a bog I need some wellies, but being a large girl I cannot find any
that will go over my calves. Does anyone know of any big lady wellies?
Thanks for your help

[]
Otherwise, there's a very expensive French brand called Le Chameau,
worn by many professional gardeners here in Europe for the superior fit
and comfort. Iirc some models have expanders built into the calves .

Hi Janet,

Le Chameau actually offers calf sizes over a fairly wide range,
but only in the upper end of the line. I'm difficult to fit in wellies
for just this reason, and recently tried some of the high end
models. Too rich for my blood -- I think the St Hubert was over
200 EU -- but leather-lined and everything, they were very, very
comfortable.

The good news is that they are practically indestructible. I've
had my (low end) Chameaux for perhaps 12 years, they're still
OK except for a tiny leak somewhere that only shows wading a
stream, or in the peat bog. Anyway given the cost of replacement,
I'll live with the occasional wet foot.

Apparently at the factory store (in La Ferté Macé?) they
are significatly discounted, if the OP is likely to be in Normandy
any time soon.

-E

--
Emery Davis