Old 19-02-2006, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

Default Log splitters

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:47:08 GMT, "Syke"
wrote:

I'm looking at these at the moment, not too much money, and specifically the
Logmaster currently advertised in The Times at £199, and the Ferm from
Screwfix at £99. anyone have any knowledge of either of these?

Regards and thanks in advance

Pat Macguire

We had a look at a couple (in catalogues and magazines only - not
'real life') and found that the diameter of logs they would split
wouldn't be much trouble with a splitting maul or axe. We get wood of
well over a foot diameter sometimes and the best thing we found was a
wood grenade from Screwfix. Looks a bit like an old spinning top and
you stab the pointy end (which is very sharp) into the cut end of the
log and hit it hard with a sledgehammer a couple of times and your
log's split. If its a large diameter log it should only be a few
inches deep, I think, or you might lose your grenade into the wood if
it doesn't split.

Joan in Ayrshire
remove 'spam' from email to reply