Old 19-02-2006, 09:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Log splitters

The message
from James Fidell contains these words:

I have a few large lumps of oak lying about, about 9" x 12" x 18". Bit
weathered on the outside, but hard as anything on the inside. I imagine
they were part of the house before it was renovated in the 80s. They're
just a bit too large to go in our woodburner and they laugh at my
chainsaw. Is there any other way I might split them, or should I just
find another use for them?

You can get a panel saw-shaped 'frame' which carries a hacksaw blade. It
would be slow, but you'd cut them with that. (A tungsten carbide tipped
saw chain would do too, but a bit expensive for a one-off job.)

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig