Old 19-02-2006, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff

Default Belamcanda chinensis

Dave Poole wrote:

Without protection,
it rarely survived Midlands' winters in those days, so I more or less
treated it as a half-hardy annual. I suspect that in moderately
sheltered areas, it may sow itself about in much the same way as
Freesia laxa (Anomatheca), which could be nice - especially if there
are plenty of the richer mahogany and red shades.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

Interesting (as all Dave's posts are!)
I grew this from seed 5 years ago.
I'm in NE England; I planted some in the garden (heavy clay) and they
survived for 2 years.
I left 2 in 7-inch plastic pots which are just left unprotected over
winter and they've come back and flowered every year.
Having said that, watch them not come back this year :-)

Jeff
Whitley Bay