Old 20-02-2006, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Moss in the Lawn

In article ,
john thompson wrote:
I have two acres of lawn and it is very badly infected with moos I have
tried to remove it with sulphate of iron it kills it off and it returns the
following year as bad as ever
Ihave tried letting thegrass grow longer in th esummer totry to smother it
but again no real difference can any one help me with this problem I live

You have two options: learn to love it, or dig up your lawn and
vastly improve the drainage. Take your pick.

And, just to set a certain seriously invalid interjector right,
this is from the OED:

Forms: OE-16 mos, lOE-16 mose, eME musse, eME-16 (17-18 arch.) mosse,
ME- moss, lME moes, moos, mosh, mossh, muse, 17 (U.S. regional) morse,
18- (Eng. regional) moze, 19- (Eng. regional) mose; Sc. pre-17 moase,
moasse, mois, moiss, moisse, mooss, mos, mose, pre-17 17 (18 arch.) mosse,
pre-17 17- moss

Plus, of course, it is spelled moos in German.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.