Old 20-02-2006, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Steele Family

Default cannas

Thanks Bob,
Useful information. tried to grow them in my gravel garden a couple of years
ago without much success. Had one flower on one and not much growth and no
flowers on another.Think they then got too cold( or wet?0 in the ground. I
want to try again and thought I'd do pots and then try to harden them
outside in second year.
Wow, they must look great in the pond! I have a pond too so that would be
something else to try.
Thanks too for the plant advice re my gravel garden.Sounds like a good
suggestion. Yes, the blood grass( forgot it was called that.....Imperata
cylindrica rubra). I'd coveted that for ages and gave in eventually! Funny
plant.....a bit fussy although nice small rooted bits to pull off and stick
in different places to try. Also, one of my gardening books showed it as a
bright red colour so I was a bit disappointed when it came out maroon!!
If you're interested, I'll post you some more garden photos. If you have any
of your garden, I would love to see. ( Always nosey when it comes to gardens
and plants!)
Regards, Liz.( 1 mile from Worthing seafront)