Old 21-02-2006, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default North facing wall climbers ??

"NC" wrote in message
Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
NC wrote:

Ok - fair point.
Been looking at crocus.co.uk and I like the look of the Clematis Nelly
Moser. Maybe one of these, and an Akebia ?

Fine. And, if they get too tangled, both will survive being cut back
hard - at the loss of a year's flowers (two for the Akebia). Nelly
Moser might flower late in the year after being pruned back hard,
but I can't say for sure.

OK - I think I'll go for that. I like the idea that the Akebia should
flower March-May and then the Nelly Moser from May-June & Sept. Should
have a fairly decent range of flowers through the summer

Basket at Crocus.co.uk is filled up (added a Japanese Maple for the corner
of the garden, and a few bits for the herb bed.).

Thanks for all the advise - and all so quickly too.
Gardending is addictive, and I've only just bought my first spade and fork
!
I'll put the order in when I get paid next week, so that gives plenty of
time for someone else to come in and tell me something else..

As Sacha said Acers can be difficult.
If you are looking at the Crocus site I suggest having a look at Acer
Osakazuki. The picture shows the Autumn colour. In spring it has a vibrant
green leaf with interesting red keys. It is a little more tolerant of wind
than the Dark leaved varieties. As a bonus it has an interesting bark.
Although it is supposedly slow growing it's faster than most . If the pay
cheque is big enough go for the larger offering, the small one is not much
better than a twig.